Antique Pewter flask. Sheffield: Pinder Bros., .
Antique Pewter flask. Sheffield: Pinder Bros., . With screw-off lid. With embossed sailboat on side of flask. Approximately 9 cm diameter. Some mild tarnishing. Near fine.
Size 9 cm
Made in England 1907
The Pinder family, it is believed, originated in Derbyshire, perhaps in Bradwell where they later owned a cottage. But it is in Sheffield where we find the first real evidence of the present family. John Pinder, described as a ‘fireiron maker’ and his wife Mary lived first in Arundel Street – strangely enough the location of the company today – and later in Shepherd Street. Here, in 1830 their son George William Pinder was born. He lived here until his marriage.
But the firm prospered, having had their first mark registered at the Assay Office in 1888. It was C.E.P. – the initials of Charles Edward. In 1907, a different mark, incorporating Pinder Brothers was registered.
In the early days, church vessels and ornaments were a speciality, with candelabra and crucifixes being produced for both the local Catholic community and for export to Ireland. Communion cups for Non Conformists were another line. Allied with this, glassware was brought in and resold and more general items of cutlery and holloware were produced.
John William Pinder, born in 1882, the son of John Thomas joined the firm. He was to serve in the Royal Flying Corps in World War One. Another Pinder, his brother Charles Nicholson – not in the company, but a cartoonist with the Sheffield Star – also served in France and was killed in 1918.